Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's the deal with this blog?

If you're reading this now, chances are you have, or used to have, some interest in the television show Ed. Well, that makes two of us. I started watching Ed with my parents when I was 12 years old, and was a faithful viewer until its series finale in 2004.

But we all get older, and thinking back over the five years since Ed last aired, I've come to find that I don't remember as much as I used to about the show. And I really don't remember much about that first season.

So, being someone who has a reputation for obsessively watching old shows from start to finish (Friends, Sex and the City, Moonlighting, Gilmore Girls, and Everwood so far), I decided to undertake another grand experiment in television and rewatch Season One of Ed.

I gained a little motivation to do so because of the English class on blogging I am taking this semester. Yes, this blog is technically an assignment, but I am incredibly excited about the opportunity to write about one of my favorite shows nevertheless. Who knows -- if all goes well, maybe Season Two will follow.

I've titled this endeavor "Dissecting the Smiling Goat: Reviews and Commentary on NBC'S Ed." My vision for this blog is to do a recap and commentary of each episode of the first season; this is where the "dissecting" in the title comes into play. (The Smiling Goat's true identity will be revealed in good time.) I would also like to take a closer look at the circumstances in which Ed originally aired: what was going on in pop culture at the time, what the critics thought of the show, and how television viewers responded to it.

2000 was just shy of a decade ago, but a lot has changed in the world of entertainment since then. I may even update you on what the cast of the show is up to now -- some of them are popping up all over the place these days.

By now you probably have noticed, as we will hear in the second episode, that I have "a crush on the wonderful world of possibility." So let's get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment